Monday, October 28, 2013

Ghost Stories


I'm not a Halloween fan. At all. So I've been labeled a party-pooper and quite frequently get asked incredulously, "How can you not love Halloween?!"

To which I say: I don't like scary things. (Plus, I can buy my own candy on clearance November 1st without approaching random strangers.) I'm also not one for costumes.*

Don't get me wrong, I love getting dressed up for events and going out. But for putting on crazy make up and clothes I'll wear once to pretend I'm someone I'm not... maybe I am a party-pooper, but nothing about this holiday appeals to me. I don't mean to slight people who love it, but I own up to being the humbug tucked up at home anticipating turkey diners and holiday lights.

Even at girl scouts or Outdoor Ed, I avoided the ghost stories and plugged my ears when someone said something remotely scary. Bloody Mary in the mirror? No thanks! Skeletons and tombstones in my front yard? How about not. And don't get me started on how terrified I was after watching things like Nightmare Before Christmas or Hocus Pocus.

All this to say: I am very much that girl in the middle.

Some preliminary doodles:


*Of course when I was a kid I did dress up. Off the top of my head I remember being Donald Duck, Jasmine, Esmerelda, a doctor, a policeman, and one year my sister and I wore matching yellow Belle gowns. It was fun, and the candy was a nice perk. But by 4th grade I decided, nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment