Thursday, March 12, 2015

Ms Marvel and Lockjaw


Over the past year I've become a comic fiend. My Target brand bookshelf stresses under the weight of volume after volume; my desk is overrun with bagged-and-boarded issues; I have four nearly full white boxes sitting in front of my dresser; and I've lost count of the various titles I now read and collect. Honestly, I shudder to think of how much money I've parted with as a result.

And it all started with Kamala.

Last spring I'd seen a post on twitter announcing the title, and didn't think too much of it. But the more I heard, the more I thought, "Hey, I'd read that. That sounds interesting. That's something different."

Thirteen issues of Ms. Marvel later, and I'm still hooked.  I eagerly await Wednesday releases, but the weeks that see a Ms. Marvel release are truly special. It's such an endearing run: from the rustic color scheme, sketchy art direction, unique characters, refreshing representation, teen drama, Kamala's inner fan girl, a teleporting dog, uplifting messages, and even a recent Loki appearance... this series is stellar. Kamala will always hold a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment