Monday, January 1, 2018

Ringing in the New Year


It's that time of year, with resolutions and reflections galore. 2017 was quite a doozy all around, as we're all too well aware. While I could go on about how happy I am it's over, it is always fun to look back at the positives. 

I do have to say it was quite the year of firsts: I ran my first 5K, took my first solo road trip across state lines, and went on my first ever Spring Break trip -- to Puerto Vallarta, no less! I also started working out regularly for the first time since high school. I can promise you I never thought I'd be someone who willingly stepped into a weight room, but that changed this year. 

Work life had its ups and downs but I started the year with a promotion to senior artist, a humbling promotion indeed given the talent I work amongst! I spent the better part of the year working on a Lord of the Rings game, having creative control over three different features. While I was never a huge fan of the series, working with iconic characters such as Gollum and Shelob was super fun and rewarding. 

In terms of art, 2017 was the year I did more personal art than I can ever recall. This is thanks in part to the wonderfully talented Joe Feliciano, who hosts weekly watercolor jams at work. He also is a huge proponent of sketchbooks, and inspired me to keep mine in tow at all times. This helped me get in a healthier mindset of making art for myself, rather than appealing to the world at large. 

2017 was the first year I completed #Inktober -- helped along with the ever inspiring theme of Britney  Spears -- and finished up my second complete go at #MerMay. I had pieces published in a friend's collaborative childhood art book, took a local screen printing class, and already have more learning experiences and zine pieces lined up for this year.

While I don't have resolutions per say, I look forward to what 2018 holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment